18 June 2012

Work in Progress: Well Scene Animation (Part I)

My goal is to create a small, maybe 16 to 30 second, animation.  The scene to the left is the basic wall structure blocked out, though it still has a bit of work needed.  I am planning on increasing the size of the central stone slightly, and add a detailed piece the the spot sitting just above the well.  Unfortunately I am not sure what I want there yet.  The other piece on the wall missing is a pair of lanterns, one on each side of the well.  Besides making the top of the central stone a little more ornate possibly, that would handle the stone and metal portion of the scene.  In the foreground I would like to add a few vines and possibly a stepping stone or two.  The background will be a little more complex.  Over the left side I am looking to add a dead tree, possibly with a vine or two growing up it.  On the right I am looking to add a willow tree since it is something which will really move but keep the same kind of atmosphere.

As far as animation goes, I am looking to start everything off at rest.  The wind will blow and move everything yo three-quarters maximum or so before dying down slightly to about half.  Once at half it will pick back up again and go to maximum before completely dying.  The trees should sway while the smaller plants in the foreground will only move when the wind reaches about two-third strength and then only will be a small deflection from rest.  The lanterns should flicker and dim slightly when the wind is howling but return to rest once the wind stops.  As the wind is dying I am hoping to illuminate the water in the well, slowly increasing intensity to maximum once the wind stops.  The main effect once the wind stops is for smoke to billow out of the illuminated well out onto the foreground.

I know this has nothing to do with my game but I am hoping to learn some basics of animation and rigging which really have not been present so far in my work.  While I do hope to continue on the Armored Tank Car texture, I have wanted to do something a little more high polygon for a while, another thing unavailable while making my game.  So, until Friday
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment