01 November 2011

Very Fast Weekend

Okay, so I did not get anything done this weekend.  Monday is the day I normally do most of the work for my after the weekend post and being Halloween, I needed to be somewhere besides my computer.  That being said, welcome to November, hopefully I will be able to move quickly through the few remaining tutorials I have remaining and have something to actually show by the middle of this month.  I have recently picked up a couple of books to read for this game, one on Game Development and another on Network Programming.  I do not expect to be done with these books before I have proof of concept out, but I will hopefully try to apply some of the information into the final project.

Okay, the program will divide into 3 programs: the client-side, the server-side and the game.  I will go over each of them in enough detail to give an idea of what their main responsibilities are.

Server-side
This handles getting information from files on the server and providing relevant information from the requesting programs.
To the client it handles the log-in and sends most of the out-of-game pages (news, stats, friends).  It is also responsible for relaying open game servers to the client.
To the game server it sends the user's information when the user joins.  During the game it takes data from the game server for the user (death, kill, assist, point, or whatever is being tracked) and updates the user's global information.

Game-server
This is responsible for most of the game like keeping user positions, missile positions, user stats, and any other useful information.
As previously mentioned, from the server-side it receives the user information and it sends the key information that occurs during a game session.
To the client it sends updates on positions and the user's stats.  From the client it receives most of the information to handle the game.

Client-side
This is mostly responsible for rendering the game environment for the user.  It also performs minor checks which I do not think are game breaking, but most of the major inputs are handled by the game-server.  Most of the interactions have already been described.  While I could argue fewer calculations makes the game less intense to run, this is mostly for game security.  I am learning lessons from the past and hoping to correct a few mistakes that were made in he game I am modeling this game off of.

Hopefully over the course of the week I can crack what is causing the problem with the 3D shot 'em up tutorial and get the ball moving on that again.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment