05 November 2011

End of Another Week

Not much to show, not for being lazy or anything like that, it is just that life has caught up.  Right now I am painting and putting a floor into a room.  This eats a lot of time and leaves me fairly drained.  I am still stuck with my XML problem so little has been done to move forward with the tutorials for Ogre itself.  This is mostly because it is going to take quite a bit of work to go through the parsing code to find which line of the XML file is causing the lockup.

Now to get around to my 3D artwork.  After reading a bit on the difference between low polygon counts and high polygon counts, of course the line between the two is fairly ill-defined, I have decided to start thinking over the first few maps I would like to include when the game is launched.  One of the maps is a suburbia level, of course it will not follow logic very well (fences will do nothing most likely, pools can take a tank running into them and houses will be able to take a direct missile hit) but it is more an off map than it is one of the main maps.  The main maps are more likely to be just textures with natural bunkers like hills, but I have not really given these much thought yet.  As for the artwork on these, I have finished one house, but it is lacking most of its materials, so I will get around to showing it later.


To the right is a completed model with materials properly applied.  It is the weighted companion cube from the Portal series (this model is from the first one if I got it right).  I claim no credit for its invention, creation or any other rights own by Valve.  But I did figured it would be an easy model with some color differential, use of some interesting tools (like bevel and Boolean intersection).  The other reason I chose it is because it is fairly well-known and unlike the house or other projects I am working on, would need to be a lot closer to what the original image(s) looked like, kind of a test to see how well I could reproduce an item.  I am likely to add more to this image to create more of a full scene, but hat is for later (probably when I get around to beating Portal 2).

Well, besides a building or two, I am unlikely to get much done this weekend since painting is fairly tiring work.  Of course I would love to stumble on what is making the tutorial lockup in that XML file (I feel I am likely to fly through the tutorial after that point).  Well, until next time,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment