22 November 2011

Slow but steady

Well maybe not so steady.  Actually progress seems to be made in bursts, but neither of those are the point.  Okay, so as mentioned in the last post, I was finally trying to mesh the XML into something that would play nice.  I started by seeing if I could convert the tinyXML code to RapidXML, which I quickly found was not going to work.  As previously mentioned none of the attributes line up.  RapidXML seems better to create a scene from scratch while tinyXML seems better suited for file overlays.  RapidXML creates the scene directly through Ogre while tinyXML does a memory allocation and then passes the spot in memory.  So that was plan A, onto plan B: use the tinyXML function inside the RapidXML file.  In theory this could work.  The premise was that as long as the RpidXML passed the same data to the terrain parsing function that tinyXML did, it should not matter the implementation, as long as the function handled the same task.  It did not, eventually driving me nuts with linker errors.  So then I decided to take the previous idea and expand it.  I removed the RapidXML code from the program and added the tinyXML code in, so it should have behaved like the tutorial.  What did I get, more linker errors.  Funny thing was I had already fixed some of the more annoying ones when implementing RapidXML and really did not feel like figuring out how to do it again.  Currently I am in the process of deciding whether to start over from scratch or try to salvage their code.  On an up note, this should be handled by the next post, of course the only thing the code should do is display a corner of the terrain, but something is always good.

As far as 3D modeling, not much was done.  I have been fairly tired from the past few weeks which have been draining.  I only added a few details to the mecha I have been working on, so it is still not done enough to start the texturing part of the tutorial.  I got a little further with the low poly house, but like the mecha it is not close to being done.  I have another model finished and would show it off, but again ti needs to be textured.  I am also hoping to expand the Weighted Companion Cube picture from earlier into a full scene, but that is on the back burner for the time being.  A new page has been added which lists all of my 3D modeling projects I am working on or have on pause.  Later on I will possibly add the finished images, though I am really hoping to get a website devoted to my 3D artwork (I already have the site and it is not doing much right now, I just need to get around to converting it).

So, hopefully with more to show at the end of the week, I will end this post here.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment