22 October 2011

There is a plus

I am going to start off by saying I did not get anymore more of the tutorials done. I caught a cold somehow and it has made my brain not want to do much. The plus is I think I was a little ahead of how far I thought I would be, so I do not think I am that far behind. Hopefully in the coming week I will have most of the tutorials finished, though that is on the assumption I get over this cold (it is really only drowsiness, congestion and headache, but the headache makes too much thinking a problem).

Now that I have gotten what I did not do over the week out of the way, I can get to what I have done over the week. While unable to concentrate on code, working on 3D modeling does not hurt my head as much. (It would be the errors that would hurt my head since many are written in such a way that there is no clear you missed this or that is spelled wronged, you know, useful messages.) As noted in the previous posts, one of my big problems was getting the images to actually render properly. As you can see by the hookah to the left, I think I figured my problem out. My big problem was I was missing the background image (I did not realize one was needed as either an HDRI or created through the program itself), along with a lack of practice texturing different materials. That was one reason I decided to redo the hookah (the first time did not come out as nice, plus I accidentally deleted it) which has glass, metal and ceramic.

While I did a few other tutorials, the only one I finished was the sprocket to the left. It did show how to use the bevel function, but outside of that, it was just shiny looking and complete. Besides these two finished items, I have two items waiting to be rendered - the tank from last post and an airplane which is giving me a hard time because of how I want it rendered. Additionally I have 2 or 3 items waiting to be made and one large-scale project waiting to wrapped up and rendered. When I finish this large-scale project, I will probably devote a post to it since there will be quite a few images and that will detract from anything I have to say about any other topic.

So, where does that leave me, a few 3D modeling projects to finish up before I start work on 3D models for the game. A few more tutorials before I start work on the game. I also want to make the technical demonstration mentioned in the previous post and a proof of concept type program that has most of the basic aspects of the game in place without being actually fully functional. Once all of this is done, I hope to start work on getting the game actually moving towards something playable.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment