08 October 2011

Picture unrelated

Okay, tutorials completed during the week: 2. Not that impressive, but it is at my initial predicted rate, of course there is no coding in either of the two tutorials which is why it does not seem that impressive. But that is another story.

The first tutorial was another tutorial on resources and resource managers. This did not go over much new information but had a decent layout for how the resources actually flowed in a program from the declaration of the resource manager to the unloading at the termination of the program. It also handled how to create a new resource manager for data types not currently covered by Ogre like how to handle a text file. The second covered was near useless. Besides giving a little overview of the different buffers, it was just 4 C++ files. There is no real explanation or walk-through of what does what or why different lines are added, just a lot of code to go through.

While I could spoil the next post with a preview of the coming tutorials since I started the next two, but I will wait until I get through them to go over them. So I will go over good news instead, I finally got around to figuring out what had to be changed to get the tutorials to run, so the links should be added to the Progress page when I update it with how many tutorials are done.

Is this picture unrelated? I would say yes for the most part. Why am I showing it? I like how it turned out, but besides that, I also started to work on my 3D model skills by going through a tutorials I find online. I do have a site, but since it is mostly just links to other people's work, I am not going to follow it as I have those listed on the Ogre Wiki. So that is good news, I am only going to wait until I finish the tutorial on the Ogre wiki and not add another series of tutorials. Of course, I will probably be showing more and more of that work off, especially as more and more of the tutorials are just reading or when I first start coding since there will probably be little else to show off. So far I have learned quite a few tricks, as before I only knew vertex manipulation, like extrude and revolve on top of the animation and materials used in coloration.

So was it a productive week? More or less I think so. What is next? Hopefully a few more of the In-Depth tutorials.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment