18 October 2011

A fairly slow weekend

While I did very well in my opinion last week, over the weekend I did not do so much. This is mostly because I am working on honing my 3D modeling skills. As noted in previous posts, I am doing 3D modeling tutorials but they are not arranged in any sort of structure to number them, and even if they were numbered, I would be unlikely to do them like I am the Ogre tutorials since I am only looking to learn a small subset of modeling skills.

So I decided to make a tank model over the weekend. Probably the most noticeable difference is the higher degree of intricacy in this tank as those I have previously included in screenshots of programs. Another thing to note is this one has, though fairly poor in my opinion, coloration. So my rendering work still has quite a bit to be desired, other than that I am quite pleased with how it turned out (I am unsure, but I think it is an M48 Patton, even though it was found on a search for the M4 Sherman).

Depending how inspired I feel, I have been thinking about using the above tank as a character for a camera test (similar to the In-Depth tutorial but this one would be a little different). My plans are to include a 1st person and chase camera. I am implementing the chase camera as a way to see how the tank responds to various commands. 1st person should look down the barrel of the tank. The arrow keys should move the tank on the terrain. A and D keys should rotate the turret between -180 and 180 degrees. W and S keys should raise and lower the turret (a little experimentation will decide what angles look realistic). Note these are the same controls that will be used in the game. If I make this, I will consider it a technical demonstration for the game.

Well, I think that is enough ranting for nothing being actually done.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment