04 August 2012

Some Good and Some Bad

And t start off, lets go with bad.  Last weekend powerful thunderstorms rolled through my area and caused a few power outages.  One of these outages caused my computer to forget where it put its boot manager.  After two days of looking online for how to fix it and trying all kinds of ideas from system restore to rewriting the boot manager through command line, nothing worked.  As a last ditch effort to save some of what I was loosing, I used the command line and tried to move my well project amongst other files to the secondary partition of my main hard dive.  Unfortunately, Windows relabeled all of my drive letters and command line never told me that it copied them nowhere, in fact it told me the process succeeded.  So while I may have a copy floating in some ethereal space, I am considering that the only backups I have are from the previous reformat about a month or so ago.  Luckily all I have really worked on was the hand in the well project.  Unfortunately, I do not feel like doing that a third time at the moment.

In fact I have decided the focus on the new 3D modeling program, trying to learn that.  I decided that have both 3D modeling programs on my computer, I was using the first one I learned as a crutch so I did not need to focus on the second program.  With only one program, if I want to play, I need to learn the new program. This mean I will probably do a few tutorials then get back to asset design for the main project again.

Now the first tutorial I found happens to be a very good one for game design.  The object manipulation is limited, as only extrude, scale and translate are really used; but for me this was enough to get the basic hot-keys down as well as a couple of tricks.  Where this tutorial is handy is it teaches how to bake high poly looks into a low poly mesh.  Additionally, the next section of the two sections of the tutorial is going over how to create a color and specular map.  Now, the tutorial would have been very good if it stopped there, but it goes on to show how to import the mesh and maps into UDK and link everything to display properly.

So, sorry this was late, though I did not really have much choice as I needed to decide what to do before moving ahead,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment