31 December 2011

Work-in-Progress: Courthouse (modeling continued)

I had three viable topics for this post.  Since it is he end of the year, I could do a recap of the previous year and  what I want to do with this project in the coming year.  I thought that was a much better topic for the first post of the year.  The other was some of the other engines I have looked at, but I am deciding to wait and see if I try any more and do them all in one post instead of spread out.  So this leaves me with my third topic, the Courthouse Work-in-Progress I showed last post.

To the left is the courthouse from last post but with some major additions.  The model now has 4200 faces, about twice what it had previously.  Most of my complaints were addressed since last time with a few exceptions.  The star in the circle in the eave is still made out of polygons but will eventually be made into a texture when I get that far.  For the moment it is serving a a  placeholder and may even be put back if I do not like how the textureing looks, but for the moment that is a few faces I can cut from the final project.  The flagpole is missing a flag.  The final change I wrote I would want was the base of the columns.  In the close-up version, the base just looks a little odd in comparison with the way the rest of the model flowed, but that was only the entryway, and an incomplete entryway at that.  Looking at the project as a whole, at least in terms of actual modeling, the bases seem to fit in very nicely

This images is from a much better vantage point, making it easier to see a little more of the detail.  Since last time I finished to molding and added it completely around the building as well as a special set of bricks on each side-edge of the building.  This just left the void to be filled by windows.  Originally I wrote that I wanted two different kinds of windows.  I was expecting one small and one large, but after looking at the project as it was turning out with the large windows duplicated where the smaller ones were going, I decided that the large windows looked nicer.  Tat pretty much fills out the bottom section of the building with a couple of blank planes set up to fill in the gaps between the windows.  Next came the roof, which started as a plane and then altered to give a nice size lip, but not enough to obscure any of the detail in the clock-tower.  The clock-tower was the final addition to the project to make it just a little more interesting to look at.

This is the back of the building from the opposite side the other two images were taken.  I took this mostly to show how I staggered the windows a bits.  This about shows where the project currently stands, I could have made it more intricate, but this side is not the side likely to be viewed, and that would have just increased the polygon count even higher.  For a building this size, while the count is not great, I would say I am not disappointed in how it turned out and I cannot really find a face that is unneeded.  So with the modeling basically finished, there are a few details which may get changed as the project moves forward but they are only minor details, it is time to bring the model into the next phase: texturing.  This process make take quite some time, so do not be surprised if another building is modeled in between now and when this building is textured.

If I get some free time, I am going to go through the pages and clean them up a little with recent changes to the project.  Have a happy New Year,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment