03 December 2011

A new month

Since this is the first post of a new month, I figured I would use it to plan what I would like done during the month.  While the last two months had some high points, I feel the programming end has been stalled for some time now.  So my top priority is to get the 3D shooter tutorial back to where it was before I destroyed it, then continue to build.  If all goes well, I will have that project done fairly quickly.  Once that is done, I want to piece through the Advanced Framework tutorial at which point I will be done with tutorials.

My secondary concern is getting some models ready to use in the game.  I have decided I will begin with the five original tanks from Tanarus and build them into something new.  After looking at the models carefully, I realized the majority of the detailing was in the texturing - a neat trick to make fairly detailed tanks using only 50 or so polygons.  Right now I just want a base model to use as a place-keeper.  Once the tanks are ready, which should not take that long, I will finish up the level map.  Neither the tanks nor level map have that big of a rush since neither will be utilized before I finish the Advanced Framework tutorial.  Once I finish the level map, I can start working on itemizing all of the building and objects I will need for the map, but this is still some distance off in the future.

Finally are my goals with my 3D modeling.  The biggest goal is learning how to texture my models.  While a decent model is a great place to start, even a mediocre model can be saved with a good texturing job.  After all, almost all of the detail in the original tanks were in the texturing.  I would also like to start finishing some of my open projects, but there is almost no rush on that happening.

Just a little note: after working on a few models and seeing where difficult portions lie, like getting the right roundness while preserving a poly count, you do begin to see it in video games.  Not so much in CG scenes or movies since those are entirely rendered and do not have poly constraints like games.  Well, until next time,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment