20 December 2011

Taking this decision slow

While I would really like to just breeze through this decision and go this or that is going to be my engine, my mind is made up and I am done with all of this discussion, that is not going to happen.  Moving from an open source to a licensed proprietary engine has both advantages and draw backs and I will probably be looking over several other engines before I decide on a final choice.  One of the big problems is with Ad Sense links listed, despite not being really generating revenue, I would be required to get a license since it is considered an alternate form of income from my product (I read and re-read most of the legal and business pages to make sure I am not going to get in trouble with anything).  Since I do not really have the money for the license at the moment, buying it and declaring the Unreal Development Kit my engine is not really an option.  Also, I would like to make sure that the UDK is exactly what I want before I spend money on it.  So I will probably check out a few other FPS and 3D engines to see what they are like and work from there.

In the meantime, I am going to keep working with the UDK.  Most because if I do choose it as my engine, to be able to jump right into programming will make the project advance quicker.  Also, while I cannot afford the license, as long as I am using the engine as an educational tool and not making any profit off of it, I can use it without a license.  One of my biggest problems with Ogre was how poorly worded some of the tutorials were.  UDK hosts hours on end of tutorial videos showing exactly how to do what.  One of the biggest problems I had with run-time errors was changing names of strings which Ogre needs in a particular format, but were not commented or explained as being necessary how they were presented.  While I would like to keep playing in code, the UDK is not distributed with its source, so I do not need to worry about these strings.  Now, UDK offers a built-in coding area, but this is nothing like what I would need access to in order to replicate the problem from Ogre.  One other plus with UDK is having a built-in level designer and not need to worry about the DotSceneParser, which gave me so much trouble a month ago.

While not a very comprehensive comparison, I am just listing some of my observations where UDK seems easier to use than Ogre.  Of course, UDK being in a GUI and not several thousand lines of code does help with coding problems, so I guess the adage you get what you pay for may have some validity.  Most likely I am just going to keep on fooling around with UDK for the next few weeks, then look for another engine to try out, or take some time and go 3D modeling to reappraise the project.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment