13 December 2011

A little bit of a stall

So I was working on the next tutorial which is adding a weapon system.  The basics are fairly simple, a database class to hold all of the pointers weapons and the individual weapon classes (all extending the Weapon base class).  This looked to be an easy tutorial finished in an afternoon, until I got to the end of the tutorial where the lists and arrays are actually implemented.  At that point none of the generic classes the tutorial used worked properly and instead of reading like they were suppose to making life easy, they all came up as an error-type.  Now it was not the way I made them, I actually at one point copied the code straight from the tutorial source (the tutorial itself does not give the generic types, I had a similar problem during one of the earlier tutorials also) and it still did not work.  So right now I am deciding how best to handle this section of code and if it is worth while to actually implement my own list type.

Not much was done from a planning or art perspective on the game, I was fairly tired and the coding problems just made it difficult to think of what to do next on anything else related to the project.  The one thing I did manage to do was run the Intermediate Tutorial 3 as a stress test for client side program.  I took the number of tens of thousands of faces and plotted that versus the number of frames per second I was getting and found that I got the equation: faces in thousands equals the constant 2027.7 divided by the frame rate to the power of 0.809.  The r-squared value, which is an indicator for how closely the points match-up with the line was 0.9939 on a scale from 0 to 1, with most real world experiments lucky to get a reading of about a 0.9.  What this means is that I can say with a decent confidence the game should run decently on a decent computer with between 100 and 125 thousand faces on the screen (for me that was between 30 and 40 frames per second, PAL frame rate is only 24 fps, with animation being either 12 or 6 fps; most games are targeted to run at about 20 fps).  This will give a little leeway for computers which are not as good as mine while still giving me an overall target to plan with.

So, for next time I am hoping to have the Weapon system all reworked and be ready to move onward through the tutorials.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment