06 December 2011

Short and Sweet

I guess the best way to sum up the weekend was average.  I did get some done, have a lot which I should be getting done.  So let us start off with the programming.  I went through and redid the first tutorial, got it to compile and that means I was back to where I was before in terms of what I had that would function.  Unfortunately the first tutorial is how to make a black screen, not the most impressive piece.  Next up was retrying the second tutorial, again.  This time I decided I would stick with the tutorial and use the TinyXML files.  I got the entire code finished, ironed out all of the coding problems, but there is a little snag.  When trying to make the object file (not really sure why Visual Studios makes that file but it does and it gets cranky when everything is not lined up right) I am getting a hand full of linking errors which I need to work through.  Hopefully once these errors are solved, the program will load up the XML file and I can move on with the tutorial.

That about sums up the programming end, now onto the 3D modeling.  My primary goal is eventually to make all five of the original tanks and then alter them beyond recognition.  Okay, maybe not that much, but I do wish to use them as a base for my tanks.  Working from a set of images, I did start that.  I decided to work on one of the odder looking tanks, the Mag Rider.  While I still need to tweak the proportions so they align with what I am looking for in my game, I have the basic shape mapped out in a surprisingly few number of faces.  Of course, once I get the proportions, I can start making changes, though the changes will probably wait until I have all five of the bases finished.  I will probably use the more traditional bodied Vanguard and Devastator as the base for multiple tanks and the more uniquely bodied tanks as the base for just a singular tank.

I also will probably need to do a stress test or two to find out what kind of polygon count I am looking for in a scene.  From what I have been reading it is almost down to the program what kind of polygon limits are required.  My hope is to just get a base line and move from there.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment