27 September 2011

The Enigma of Mad Marx

Well, I will start off by saying I did not get around to figuring out what is needed to host the Ogre examples, for now I would say I should get that done within the next week, but that depends o how I handle some of the other things I am fooling around with.

Now I tried to go through the Mad Marx tutorials like mentioned in the previous post, but I ran into trouble. At first I thought it was how I had set the project up as I started this project from scratch to get rid of some of the bulk accumulated in the previous sets of tutorials. So I went ahead and deleted those, closed out of the program and redid everything from scratch again with the same results. After several hours of looking around the internet and finding no one had a good answer on how to handle the link error, I decided what if I put their code in and tried to compile that. For all I knew I forgot some minor line here or there that was causing the whole program to go into convulsions, it would not be the first time. That is where I figured out they had the same problems compiling as I did. So I scrapped the project a second time and remade it again. This time after getting all of the properties set I loaded up the basic tutorial from the last tutorials and they worked fine. I again wrote the program out and got the error and then copied their code and got the error. At this point I decided I would just read the tutorials.

They are a fairly interesting take on how to build an Ogre program. One of the flaws I noticed was they took place entire in one function which made for a very cumbersome read by the end of the tutorials. It is a shame I could not work them out better while going through them to pick up some of the finer details since building an Ogre program from scratch is one of the first items I am going to need to do while making my program. I will most likely go back to my Linux box and try to write and compile them there. While much of the material was not new, it was presented in a different way. Plus, the best way to learn to program is to program. So that is why, while I have gone over the tutorials, they are not marked as completed on the Progress page.

In the mean while I am going to be moving on to the In-Depth Tutorials. Depending on how these work out, I may not need to go through the Mad Marx tutorials. The first In-Depth Tutorial covers how to build your own Ogre Framework, which was in one of the earlier tutorials, but not in as much detail. If these cover what I am hoping, they very well could be some of the first few tutorials I go back to when starting my program.

Well, next time I will probably know whether I am mark Mad Marx as finished or not and will hopefully have a few of the In-Depth tutorials finished.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment