13 September 2011

Good and Bad

Well, I am going to start out with the bad, no picture. Restoring everything after the reformat is taking a little longer then I had hoped, and I have not really gotten around to playing with my 3D modeler again. As for the techniques, they are still as much a mystery as last post since I did not have any time to see how to accomplish those goals (movement and painting). The model is almost done, I had been working on some ideas before I reformatted, but it does need a final touch or two before I feel it is how I want it, at least fr now. Hopefully in the future I get better at adding little parts to it to make it look that much better.

Now, on to the good news: in some ways I am further along then before I reformatted. After a bit of work, I got OGRE back up and running. Of course I got all the way to the end, when to compile the Tutorial Framework just to make sure it all worked and realized I forgot to compile the final OGRE project. So OGRE is back up and ready to use. Additionally, I managed to get CEGUI not only installed but compiled as well. I found out that last time when trying to get CEGUI to compile, I downloaded the wrong dependencies file. There are apparently two on the page for Visual Studios, and I overlooked the first link only seeing the second. Problem is the second only has one of the dependencies. So now I should be back on track and hopefully I have a few more tutorials done by the time I post next.

I could go into further additions to the game, but I am thinking I will talk more about the screen after log-in but before entering the game. In a much earlier post I have already described most of the functions that I want included into the page, these are summarized in the Game Overview page I created a week or so back. I believe in the earlier post I described the page as being two-dimensional. This description is what I remember the screen being like, which was nice, but while I want to make a similar game, the goal is only for similar, so this could be an area for change. So, this original layout is not what I am going to use, but how the new layout will function. After a bit of thought, a three-dimensional screen may be a different look, and after going beyond a certain point on the map, the desired screen would pop up with the options. The user would start in a depression in the center of the map. Each part of the page originally described would have its own ramp, with the areas between the ramps being fenced in. Above each ramp would be a sign for what screen the ramp will bring up, like Game, User, Friends, Options, News, et c. The two-dimensional screen for most of the will still be the same, though those that were initially built into the overview page now need their own pages, but that is a small task.

~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment