10 September 2011

Warned it would be slow

Still in the process of getting everything back up and running after reformatting. I may have a new picture or two for the next post, but for now I did not really have time. While reformatting only takes a few seconds (the actual formatting of the disc), an hour if you count re-installing Windows, four if you count re-installing and updating; the process of getting everything back to where it was before it was so sadly removed takes a bit more time. None of the those times includes prepping the computer for the reboot (moving everything off the primary partition which is about to be wiped) or putting all the programs back into place. To be honest, if I were not applying for work, I would have not bothered reformatting yet since the only trace after I removed it was it diverted my google searches; but dealing with personal information is not worth the risk.

As for the project, Visual Studios and DirectX SDK are both in, OGRE is downloaded but not compiled, CMake and whichever GUI I choose is not downloaded. The 3D modeling program is up and running as well as the OGRE converter. The project will likely be moving again by the post after the next post.

As far as game mechanics goes, I think I am reaching a point where I need to advance both my knowledge or 3D modeling and OGRE before I can really add much to the game. I could go on about planned modules to add, which will probably be the next two posts if I get nothing else done. The need for OGRE is obvious, if I do not learn, it will not advance the project. What I am looking for now with the 3D modeler is a few aspects. Primarily, I would like to get a few items painted, even if the objects are only preliminary sketches. The other more interesting aspect of 3D modelling I would like to pick up in the next week or so is how to animate and then export that animation to OGRE. Getting both of those aspects of 3D programming down will leave the only task, that I know right now, as getting more insightful about how I want different items to look.

I know there was not much content, but hopefully more next time.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment