11 November 2013

Work in Progress: Gothic Revival Cathedral (Part II)

So last post I had been fairly brief about this new project and why I had moved away from the original Gothic cathedral.  Probably the biggest motivation to change was because my computer died and I had been unsure of when I would be able to re-access my old files again.  The good news is that this time around, I did not loose them, so I am not starting over from square one like the last few times my computer died.  But now onto what separates Gothic Revival from Gothic architecture.  The spires to the left are nearly done, I will briefly mention what is missing, but for the most part they are complete.  The obvious difference, much less ornate.  In my original Gothic cathedral buttress, nothing was bare.  In very few spots were there straight, flat, vertical walls.  If it were not an arch it were a pillar filling up the space.  These spires are quite different.  Outside a few windows, it is not until above the buttress that there is any sort of complexity.  Almost two-thirds of the height is taken up by an uninterrupted sheer face.  However, this simplicity makes the parts which are ornate stand out that much more.  Many of the stylings are quite similar between the two projects, especially the detail in the vaulted windows.  Hopefully, I will have the spires completely modeled for the next post just to show the difference between the two designs.

Now to quickly go over what is wrong or missing.  The windows near the top of the buttress need some work after looking at the image again.They just do not seem vaulted enough.  Also, the are suppose to sit flush against the wall, though I think this, if textured well enough, could make the model look better than the reference.  Next, the small corner spires are missing the cross on top.  Also missing the cross are the small little projections from the corner spires.  The central spires are missing a projection window about two-thirds the way up and a cross on top.  The brace going between the spires has a cut out in the reference, but I am unsure if it would even be noticeable in this image.

Once the spires are done, I can move to the main door and start filling in the gap between the spires.  After that piece is complete, the only piece left of this project will the the main spire, but that is likely a decent way away.  My goal is to get the building modeled and then texture, trying to keep focused on one task at a time.  Until next time
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment