31 March 2012

An Oasis in a Void

Shockingly, I actually have a bit to talk about this post. I will start out with my modeling plans for the base in the near future.  My early goal is to get a tile set of roadways together.  Left is an example of the one roadway I have made which I happen to be fairly proud of.  Besides this straight piece, I need to make a t-intersection, a bend section and an elbow.  Some other pieces may follow, but with those four most of the basement area of the base can be completed just to get an idea of what the map will feel like.  Once I finish the roadway, I will probably move onto the side-walls since the sidewalls will have a similar set to the roadways: A straight piece, an inner and outer bend, an inner and outer elbow, a straight and two bent pieces for the t-intersection.  So that is three more roadway and 8 sidewalls.

Now, onto something more fun, over the week I got around to buying my first computer art hardware: a USB tablet (not one of those over-sized phones, but the things which were originally called tablets).  I had wanted one of these for a long time, though never really had much use for it since I did not do much in terms of drawing on the computer over the last decade.  With the amount of texturing I am hoping to get done over the next year or so, the ability to draw on detail will improve my workflow, I hope.  It is not an overly elaborate model or anything, just something for me to play with, if I made it into an actual game art position or something along those lines I would probably upgrade but for a project that has not made me anything, this is a fun investment.

Finally, after much consideration and deliberation, I think I am going to use the UDK engine.  I just like the overall feel of the editor, though I do wish there was a little more control over source code.  I probably will not get the actual license until around the beginning of May, but that is partially because I will not really have much to demonstrate before then.  I am hoping by the to have a decent amount of the base's underground set finished and to possibly start moving into some of the more elaborate underground pieces.

Not sure how much I will get done for the next three post, but after that my work shift will be different which may accommodate a little more work on getting this demo made.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment