03 March 2012

An interesting detail

No, I do not have much new to say.  No I have not done any programming.  No I have no models to show off.  Life has been busy but hopefully it will slow down.  With all of what I have not done yet out of the way, I will move onto an observation I have made.  As I mentioned early on in this project, I am recreating a game from my childhood in my own idealized image of how the game worked.  It will not use their models, their code or much of what they did, I am using their game Tanarus as a stepping stone.  But I also believe in not reinventing the wheel, so I have made a few concept 3D models from pictured from the original game.  What I have noticed is that the original models gained most of their from texturing, which is fairly evident from the way the models look.  Texturing can add detail but only to a certain extent, then an increase in the polygon count is needed to add detail.What is not so obvious is that most of their models were about fifty polygons.  This means suing these models as a base will give me great flexibility since that is only about ten percent of my polygon allotment for my finished model.

I was actually going to talk about the limits of texturing and I may go into more detail later, but I reached another of texturing's limits.  While working on the trash bin, I was trying to add some rust to the one side to make it  a little more interesting to look at and an item weathered outside its entire existence would be expected to have some rust.My problem is that adding the detail makes the flat color of the base coat look a little off since it seems like there is so much contrast between the area of what seems like high detail and the majority which almost seems like no detail.  Obviously once I figure out how to make it look decent, you will probably see it.

Just a heads up, no post next Friday.  I doubt I will have much done before it so there is little use in posting early and I will get nothing done since I will be busy all day Saturday making the next possible post the already existing Sunday evening post.  Until next time,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment