04 March 2012

A little inspiration

So I did not get much done this weekend.  I am not really sure how to proceed with the detail work on the garbage bin and I have not gotten around to putting together the houses I have already sketched out.  I have a decent amount of backlogged material which I could move onto which I have not bothered with and some unrelated projects I would like to make.  So like many of the last few posts, the question is more what did I do then what did I leave for when I get my life straight.  I have most of my base models for the tanks finished.  I am going to wait until I have all of them to show them off, of course they will not look like much since they are only between 50 and 75 polygons and not textured.  That obviously did not take me all that long to complete, I did the three done so far Saturday.

Sunday I spent learning.  I played four or so hours on a 3D game released last year to see how they handled the whole texture vs. polygon count.  Now it was on the PS3 and a game I wanted to play, meaning I did have other motives for playing it.  What I came across is even in a top release, AAA title, what you want to call it, there are many shortcuts taken.  For example, they only have five or six boys, an equal number of girls, and likewise for their male counterparts, except for key characters.  That does not seem bad except when you think the number of people who walked through the bar and did not notice the same model was used four times in various ways.  I have been observing how to use tricks, like lighting, to conceal these shortcuts and not ruin the immersion of the story because you keep passing the same set of NPCs.  This will not have so much to bare for this game, but is good for my game design learning in general.

Until next time (note this has been edited, I made a mistake in which Friday I am busy),
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment