19 February 2012

Work in Progress: Trash Bin - Modeling and Texturing I

Well as much as I had this weekend off, it was fairly rushed.  I was not home a lot of last week so I spent most of the weekend catching up on things that needed to get done.  With that said, I did manage to get a new model for the game, a trash bin.  The bin is just over 100 faces, with the model, unpainted, to the left.  This model should be reusable in numerous areas around the suburbia map, especially behind apartments, municipal buildings and stores.  I was tempted to make it so I could have the one side slightly ajar, but then I have two options, neither of which I really like.  The first is to leave it so the back-facing faces inside the bin are open to the world.  This does not add faces, but does leave for some odd renderings, since each engine treats this slightly different (black or duplicating the correct-facing face) I did not really like this option.  The other was make the bin a hollowed cube which would always render the same and be great if this was just for a rendering in an engine, but would greatly increase the number of faces required.  Of course this would make it easy to make various bins off of one template, but the new number of faces was something I wanted to avoid, plus it would be that much harder to texture.


Now, because I kept the model fairly simple, I was quickly able to finish the UV map and even start on the actual texturing part of the model.  While the left image is in no way the finished model, and I may wish to make several other textures so that I can add several models varying to break up the monotony of the map, I think the model has a fair bit of detail already.  There are a few texturing aspects which I would like to add to this model.  The biggest attention grabber would be some paint streaks coming off of the word trash.  In one corner I would like to add some rust to break up how flat the side paint jobs look.  I would like to add a few dark lines where the two swinging top door meet each other and the box itself.  I would also like to add a series of water stains coming from the top of the bin on both the front and sides.  The back is fairly plain, I am not sure what I can add to break up the paint there or on the spots where the garbage truck would lift the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment