13 February 2012

Some direction

Well it may be a little while before I get much else done.  Hopefully I can start making small progress in various minor aspects of the game, but that depends more on how life decides to play and it does not always play fair.  Probably the quickest topic I want to discuss is my progress with the Source engine.  In short, not much.  They way the tutorials for the engine recommend setting it up involves setting up the source control early on and I just have not had time to sit through and set up all of the preliminary work (I have been looking to check the engines as quick as possible and this may take a little more time than I was hoping).  So in short I have not done much, but I have read through how to set up the engine and when I get some time I may get around to actually going through and getting it up and running.

Another quick note is that I have added a new column on the 3D art page for small items I want to make.  Some of them were described in the previous post, like the garbage and recycling cans.  I have been looking around and have a few other ides, but I am not sure when I will get around to making a long list of things which should get done (There will never be such a thing as a complete list, but there are numerous things which I would eventually like to make for the suburbia map).

Finally when I was describing the levels I would like to make (I will save you the work of looking, it is in this post) I talked about different maps.  I know I have had tunnel vision on the Suburbia map but that is because at the moment it is the most detailed of the map and the one with which I would like to make the demo.  After a bit of thinking I have thought of the fourth map I wanted but could not think of at that time, a Top-Secret Base. The uniqueness of this map is the overall layout.  The cargo hold I am thinking will be entirely exposed.  The suburbs will be mostly exposed except for a few exceptions (Parking Deck and Mall in the middle of the map). The castle will also be mostly exposed but have a little more enclosure (I am thinking it might be fun to have a map with a different scaling, so on this map the tanks would be scaled models and the castle extend out as though it were the size of a large town).  The Top-Secret Base on the other hand I am thinking will be about half enclosed with a large subterranean area including the central point.

That about covers everything I wanted to get out there, hopefully Friday I have something more to show.
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment