07 April 2012

Small steps forward

Sorry this is very late.  I have continued my work on getting the repeatable pieces done for my map.  To the right is the T-intersection and below is the 90-degree turn.  The 45-degree turn is modeled, I just have not textured it yet.  Once the is finished I will move onto the walls, which will be a little more numerous, as most pieces will need multiple walls around it.  Once those are made I can move onto the ceiling which will finish most tile-able parts.  After that I will probably make a light - more as a placeholder than a finished product, letting me get back to it later when I can make a few different ones so it will not be as monotonous looking.  Once the halls are in place, I will build the custom rooms in the same manner - floors, walls, ceiling - and then the basement of the level will be almost done.  What will be needed is a ramp or two, I am thinking two different widths, and then just small materials to make the level more interesting, but those can wait.

As far as the engine discussion goes, I have decided on a test for UDK.  If I can build the demo, than it is my choice of engine and I will get the license.  But this is still a little while away.  What I did do over the last week was check how I could import the objects and materials, and after a bit of work I have found it is not that bad.  Once I am happy with how the level is built, I will move onto making the moving models - tanks, missiles, mines, satellites, et c. - and then making four textures, one for each team, for each.  Once all of those are finished, it will just be a matter of programming the demo.  Now of course, I made that sound as easy as possible and the demo is probably a decent way off still.  I am unsure if I will add small details to the map or just leave it as empty hallways, I am tempted to do the latter to keep construction time down and save something for the actual release.

So again, sorry for the late post, I hope this makes the direction I am moving in clear.  A lot of modeling and texturing in the coming posts, though I am hoping they level pieces at least go together fast.  The other pieces, the non-permanent tanks and missiles, will probably have more detail and take a bit longer to finish.  My post tomorrow will probably be early since my shift at work changed for next week.  Until then,
~gunnah

No comments:

Post a Comment