20 August 2011

Slow Progress


So as I mentioned earlier, while working through the Ogre tutorials on my Linux computer I had to give up because of linker problems in Tutorial 3. Well a few days ago, I got back to the point I was at previously now on my Windows computer. Not only did I get it to compile and run, I managed to get through all of their recommended ways to fool around with the program. On a side note, if there are any misspelled textures, make sure to delete the dat file before trying to reload the program since it retains the file names from when it was created. The image to the left was the rendering in OpenGL. But back to the main point, I finished their tutorial and decided to alter it in my own way. What I decide is since I had fun making the mesh for the tank in the first tutorial, I would make my own mesh again. (I will admit I did not try a new mesh with Tutorial 2 because I wanted to make sure I could get Tutorial 3 to work properly.

So I go through all of the work to make a new 3D model, shown to the left. I still have not tried to add coloring and other effects to the model yet, I figured I would in the next few tutorials seeing how the engine played with different coloration patterns. But besides its fairly bland coloration, I would say the model came out fairly decently, I learned how to tell the modeler exactly how far to move the vertices instead of manually trying since that lead to odd shadow patterns in the first tutorial model. So after getting the model together and having a mesh generated, I added the few lines of code needed to add a mesh (a line to create the entity, a line to create the scene node and a line to attach the entity to the scene node), compile and still get nowhere. It was at this point I learned the trick about deleting the dat file since the land came up either black in DirectX or yellow and black striped in OpenGL. I would also like to note I added the code to add the ninja from the last project, directly copied from the tutorial and neither mesh will load.

This last picture s the rendering of the same code as the OpenGL above but in DirectX. I am not sure how the fog turned off.

Just one more note, a note is suppose to come up when the dat file is being created to warn about the loading period. While I am confident in the code I copied, I have not seen the warning up, and I have created that dat file quite a few times hoping that was what was giving the problem loading the new mesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment